The 58th Infantry Regiment is a regiment of the United States Army first established in 1917. The regiment was organized in 1917 from the Fourth Infantry shown on the small shield. The field is blue for Infantry. The regiment served in France in the Fourth Division shown by the ivy leaf from the shoulder insignia. The torpedo commemorates the first losses of the regiment when the troopship RMS Moldavia carrying some of the regiment was torpedoed on 23 May 1918. The broken chevron commemorates the piercing of the German line between Soissons and Rheims, which are represented by the silver and golden fleurs-de-lis taken from the coat of arms of those cities respectively. Currently the regiment may have two battalions. Since 1962, the 1st Battalion, 58th Infantry served with the 197th Infantry Brigade at Fort Benning. However, D, E, and F Companies served briefly in Vietnam, from 1967 to 1969, with the 4th Infantry Division. These companies performed long range reconnaissance missions and were later redesignated as ranger companies of the 75th Ranger Infantry Regiment (Airborne). The battalion appears to have been reflagged as the 4th Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment in the mid 1980s. The 1st Battalion, 58th Infantry Regiment was reactivated on 16 May 1987. It took over the personnel and mission of the 4th Battalion, 2nd Infantry Training Brigade. The 2nd Battalion, 58th Infantry is tasked to provide trained and ready soldiers for the Army as part of the 198th Infantry Brigade.
Tags: 58th, bn, mexico, new, cavalry