The 8th Infantry Division, ("Pathfinder"]) was an infantry division of the United States Army during the 20th century. The division served in World War I, World War II, and Operation Desert Storm. Initially activated in January 1918, the unit did not see combat during World War I and returned to the United States. Activated again on 1 July 1940 as part of the build-up of military forces prior to the United States' entry into World War II, the division saw extensive action in the European Theatre of Operations. Following World War II, the division was moved to West Germany, where it remained stationed at the Rose Barracks in Bad Kreuznach until it was inactivated on 17 January 1992.
Tags: storm-trooper, where-it-remained-stationed-at-the-rose-barracks-in-bad-kreuznach-until-it-was-inactivated-on-17-january-1992the-8th-infantry-division, the-division-was-moved-to-west-germany, the-division-saw-extensive-action-in-the-european-theatre-of-operations-following-world-war-ii, the-unit-did-not-see-combat-during-world-war-i-and-returned-to-the-united-states-activated-again-on-1-july-1940-as-part-of-the-build-up-of-military-forces-prior-to-the-united-states-entry-into-world-war-ii
United States Army NATO was established by General Order #46, effective 20 December 1950. The Command was organized as a special field activity, assigned to Headquarters Department of the Army. Formerly titled: "US Army Elements, Allied Command Europe", the Command has evolved into providing superlative support to nearly 1300 soldiers and civilians and 1500 family members throughout NATO. Headquarters Brigade, US Army Elements, Allied Command Europe was activated on 3 May 2000 at SHAPE with the mission of providing support to soldiers, civilians and family members in Allied Command Operations NATO.
Tags: agent-carter, star, 6th, pers, personnel
The Twelfth United States Army Group was the largest and most powerful United States Army formation ever to take to the field. It controlled the majority of American forces on the Western Front in 1944 and 1945. It was commanded by General Omar Bradley with its headquarters established in London on 14 July 1944. Bradley's First United States Army, which later formed part of the Twelfth Army Group, formed the right wing of the Allied lines during the Normandy landings and the Battle of Normandy. They were joined during July by the Third United States Army, under the command of General George S. Patton. Until September, when General Eisenhower assumed overall command of the Allied land forces in Northwest Europe, the U.S. forces in Normandy were included with the British Second Army and the First Canadian Army in the British headquarters formation 21st Army Group, commanded by General Montgomery. After the breakout from the beach-head at Normandy, the Twelfth Army Group formed the center of the Allied forces on the Western Front. To the north was the British 21st Army Group (the 2 aforementioned field armies) and, to the south, advancing from their landing on the Mediterranean coast, was the Sixth United States Army Group (Seventh United States Army and French First Army). As the Twelfth advanced through Germany in 1945, it controlled four field armies: First United States Army, Third United States Army, Ninth United States Army and Fifteenth United States Army. By V-E Day, the Twelfth Army Group was a force that numbered over 1.3 million men.
Tags: ng, guard, national, id, div
Alerted for movement in May 1965, the organization arrived in Vietnam on 12 August 1965. Its first assigned mission was to operate water terminals at Saigon, Nha Be, Cat Lai, Cam Ranh Bay, Vung Tau, Qui Nhon, Nha Trang, Phan Rang and other locations as directed. The Command was further charged to furnish direct motor transport in support of port and beach clearance, to support tactical requirements and to establish an Air Cargo terminal in Saigon. Initially, the Command had approximately 7,500 troops under its direction to accomplish these missions. Most U.S. Army divisional size units, some smaller units (both U.S. and Allied) and an estimated 70 percent of all supplies for United States and Allied forces in Vietnam have been landed at ports operated by the Command. With the establishment of the U.S. Army Support Commands at Cam Ranh Bay and Qui Nhon in early 1966, the water terminal operations were transferred to them. The Command' s mission was altered to that of operating the Saigon Port complex, a sub-port at Vung Tau and various ammunition distribution sites. During the Command's first year in Vietnam, nearly 1.4 million tons of military cargo had been handled at the Saigon Port alone with an average of 100 ,ships each month. Beginning 4 July 1966 the Command was assigned the further mission of handling U.S. Agency for International Development and Commercial Import Program cargo. Members of the Command are also serving as advisors to officials of the Republic of Vietnam who operate the commercial port of Saigon. With the opening of Newport in August 1966, a recently constructed facility north of Saigon, some of the heavy burden has been taken off the port of Saigon. These newest docks in the Saigon area serve re-routed ships which formerly tied up much of Saigon Port's traffic, plus refining and expediting, handling of USAID/CIP cargo. In July 1967 the U.S . Army Transportation Battalion Vung Tau/Delta (Provisional) was established to operate the U.S. Army Terminal Vung Tau/Delta and to command control the 5th Transportation Company (heavy boat), the 329th Transportation Company (heavy Boat) and the 1097th Transportation Company (Medium. Boat). One of the Command's major achievements in 1966 followed the SS Baton Rouge Victory disaster in August. The Victims, of the underwater mine explosion which blew up the vessel, were brought to hospitals by boats assigned to this Command our tugs helped beach the stricken ship, thus keeping the vital ship channel in the Saigon River, open. Personnel and equipment of the Command managed to salvage a major portion of the cargo aboard the ship which was destined £or Saigon and transported it upriver on barges to its destination. The 4th Transportation Command consists of three transportation terminal service battalions, the 11th Transportation Battalion and 71st Transportation Battalion, the U.S. Army Transportation Battalion Vung Tau/Delta (Provisional), and the 125th (Terminal A) Transportation Command.
Tags: div, division, iv, iii, ii
The 89th Infantry Division, known as the "Rolling W," was an infantry unit of the United States Army that was activated for service in World War I and World War II. The 89th Infantry Division landed in France at Le Havre, 21 January 1945, and engaged in several weeks of precombat training before moving up to the Sauer River into jump-off positions east of Echternach, 11 March 1945. The next day, the offensive began, and the 89th plunged across the Sauer in a rapid advance to and across the Moselle, 17 March. The offensive rolled on, and the division assaulted across the Rhine River on 26 March 1945 under intense fire in the Wellmich-Oberwesel region. A pontoon bridge was built across the Rhine from St. Goar to St. Goarshausen. In April, the 89th attacked toward Eisenach, taking that town on 6 April. The next objective, Friedrichroda, was secured by 8 April. On 4 April 1945, the 89th overran Ohrdruf, a subcamp of the Buchenwald concentration camp. The division continued to move eastward toward the Mulde River, capturing Zwickau by 17 April. The advance was halted, 23 April, and from then until VE-day, the division saw only limited action, engaging in patrolling and general security. Three towns, Lößnitz, Aue, and Stollberg, were kept under constant pressure, but no attacks were launched. The 89th was reactivated as a Reserve unit in 1947 with headquarters in Wichita, Kansas and redesignated as the 89th Division (Training) in 1959. In 1973 the division colors were cased and the shoulder patch (but not the lineage and honors) was continued in use as the 89th Army Reserve Command (ARCOM). (ARCOMs were not tactical commands, but were instead regional conglomerations of unrelated units. Upon mobilization, units within the ARCOMs would be assigned to active duty units with which they were aligned.) The 89th ARCOM was later redesignated as the 89th Regional Support Command, and in 2003 it became the 89th Regional Readiness Command. In its 2005 BRAC recommendations, United States Department of Defense recommended realigning the Wichita US Army Reserve Center by disestablishing the 89th Regional Readiness Command. This recommendation was part of a larger recommendation to re-engineer and streamline the command and control structure of the Army Reserves that would create the Northwest Regional Readiness Command at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin. The 89th currently exists as the 89th Sustainment Brigade in the US Army Reserve.
Tags: agent-carter, star, 6th, pers, personnel
Ready for all things. Are you? The introduction of The Life and Death Brigade to Rory's life changed so much for her, and the open umbrella is the perfect representation of that chapter in her life. Join The Stars Hollow Running Club in being ready for all things in this perfect little shirt.
Tags: gilmore-girls, stars-hollow, lorelai-gilmore, rory-williams
In 1965, the 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment became the first element of the regiment to deploy to South Vietnam. The battalion arrived on the USS General W. H. Gordon on 14 July 1965 as a part of the 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division (United States) and debarked at Vung Tau. The troops were initially sent to Long Binh Post north of Saigon and there the battalion immediately began building a base camp named Camp Ranger. In the many ensuing operations, the elusive enemy had to be found before he could be destroyed and to find him the troops had to remain almost constantly in the field on search missions. “Search and Destroy” operations such as those conducted during Operations Mastiff, Bushmaster, Abilene, Birmingham, El Paso, Attleboro, Cedar Falls and Junction City usually found the battalion operating far from its base camp area throughout the III Corps Tactical Zone.
Tags: infantry, 16th, arms, of, coat
he Twelfth was again inactivated on 3 February 1962. On 1 September 1963 the squadron was redesignated the First Battalion and reactivated and assigned to the First Cavalry Division in Korea. In June 1965, the battalion's colors were returned to Fort Benning, Georgia and assigned to a battalion of the 11th Air Assault Division (Test), in preparation for duty in the Republic of Vietnam. During the Vietnam War units of the battalion participated in 12 campaigns and earned three Presidential Unit Citations and three Valorous Unit Awards for actions against the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese Army. In June 1972 the battalion returned from Vietnam to its new home at Fort Hood, Texas where it was organized as an M113A1 equipped mechanized infantry battalion, a maneuver battalion of the 1st Brigade of the Army's 1st Cavalry Division (TRICAP). Significant during the battalion's TRICAP period in 1972, it participated in a massive removal of unexploded ordnance in the impact area of Ft. Hood, much of it dating to WW II, in preparation for the conduct of a several week multi division force on force exercise pitting the TRICAP Division against 2nd Armored Division in Operation Gallant Hand. The 1st Battalion's work during this exercise was a further extension of work done by the 2nd Battalion, 12th Cavalry with other units of the 1st Brigade during Air Cavalry Combat Brigade Tests 1 and 2 to evaluate the TRICAP organization of armor, air assault, assault helicopter and mechanized infantry as a combined arms force operating against Soviet style ground forces. LTC Kelley commanded the battalion at this time.
Tags: nam, vn, vietnam, sqdrn, regt
During the Vietnam War units of the battalion participated in 12 campaigns and earned three Presidential Unit Citations and three Valorous Unit Awards for actions against the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese Army. In June 1972 the battalion returned from Vietnam to its new home at Fort Hood, Texas where it was organized as an M113A1 equipped mechanized infantry battalion, a maneuver battalion of the 1st Brigade of the Army's 1st Cavalry Division (TRICAP). Significant during the battalion's TRICAP period in 1972, it participated in a massive removal of unexploded ordnance in the impact area of Ft. Hood, much of it dating to WW II, in preparation for the conduct of a several week multi division force on force exercise pitting the TRICAP Division against 2nd Armored Division in Operation Gallant Hand. The 1st Battalion's work during this exercise was a further extension of work done by the 2nd Battalion, 12th Cavalry with other units of the 1st Brigade during Air Cavalry Combat Brigade Tests 1 and 2 to evaluate the TRICAP organization of armor, air assault, assault helicopter and mechanized infantry as a combined arms force operating against Soviet style ground forces. LTC Kelley commanded the battalion at this time.
Tags: always, paratus, semper, 12th, 12