In March 1929, the Machine Gun Squadron and the 2nd Squadron of the 112th Cavalry Regiment were re-organized into the 124th Cavalry Regiment. 124th Cavalry Regimental HQs was in Austin, the 1st Squadron in Ft. Worth (A and B Troops, formerly E and G Troops/2nd Squadron, 112th Cavalry Regiment) and the 2nd Squadron in Houston with E Troop at Brenham and F Troop at Mineral Wells. The regimental Band was also at Mineral Wells, with the Machine Gun Troop in San Antonio. All elements of the 124th Cavalry Regiment were federally recognized 20 March 1929. This action released the 111th Cavalry back to New Mexico's control and made the 56th Cavalry BDE an all Texas organization.