Alerted for movement in May 1965, the organization arrived in Vietnam on 12 August 1965. Its first assigned mission was to operate water terminals at Saigon, Nha Be, Cat Lai, Cam Ranh Bay, Vung Tau, Qui Nhon, Nha Trang, Phan Rang and other locations as directed. The Command was further charged to furnish direct motor transport in support of port and beach clearance, to support tactical requirements and to establish an Air Cargo terminal in Saigon. Initially, the Command had approximately 7,500 troops under its direction to accomplish these missions. Most U.S. Army divisional size units, some smaller units (both U.S. and Allied) and an estimated 70 percent of all supplies for United States and Allied forces in Vietnam have been landed at ports operated by the Command. With the establishment of the U.S. Army Support Commands at Cam Ranh Bay and Qui Nhon in early 1966, the water terminal operations were transferred to them. The Command' s mission was altered to that of operating the Saigon Port complex, a sub-port at Vung Tau and various ammunition distribution sites. During the Command's first year in Vietnam, nearly 1.4 million tons of military cargo had been handled at the Saigon Port alone with an average of 100 ,ships each month. Beginning 4 July 1966 the Command was assigned the further mission of handling U.S. Agency for International Development and Commercial Import Program cargo. Members of the Command are also serving as advisors to officials of the Republic of Vietnam who operate the commercial port of Saigon. With the opening of Newport in August 1966, a recently constructed facility north of Saigon, some of the heavy burden has been taken off the port of Saigon. These newest docks in the Saigon area serve re-routed ships which formerly tied up much of Saigon Port's traffic, plus refining and expediting, handling of USAID/CIP cargo. In July 1967 the U.S . Army Transportation Battalion Vung Tau/Delta (Provisional) was established to operate the U.S. Army Terminal Vung Tau/Delta and to command control the 5th Transportation Company (heavy boat), the 329th Transportation Company (heavy Boat) and the 1097th Transportation Company (Medium. Boat). One of the Command's major achievements in 1966 followed the SS Baton Rouge Victory disaster in August. The Victims, of the underwater mine explosion which blew up the vessel, were brought to hospitals by boats assigned to this Command our tugs helped beach the stricken ship, thus keeping the vital ship channel in the Saigon River, open. Personnel and equipment of the Command managed to salvage a major portion of the cargo aboard the ship which was destined £or Saigon and transported it upriver on barges to its destination. The 4th Transportation Command consists of three transportation terminal service battalions, the 11th Transportation Battalion and 71st Transportation Battalion, the U.S. Army Transportation Battalion Vung Tau/Delta (Provisional), and the 125th (Terminal A) Transportation Command.
Tags: div, division, iv, iii, ii
The 70th Infantry Division ("Trailblazers") was a unit of the United States Army in World War II, spearheading the Seventh United States Army's drive into Germany, south of Saarbrücken.Activated at Camp Adair, Oregon, in 1943, the 70th Division served throughout World War II in the European Theater of Operations, but was deactivated in October 1945, following its return to the United States. The division was reactivated as a combat unit in 1952, and in May 1959 reorganized as the 70th Division (Training) in Detroit, Michigan then moved to Fraser, Michigan.In 1979 the command was redesignated as the 70th Regiment (Infantry One Station Unit Training), 70th Division (Training). The command was formally inactivated in Michigan on Nov. 15, 1996 and the 124th Army Reserve Command (ARCOM) adopted the division title and history the next day. In 2000 the 70th Regional Support Command became the 70th Regional Readiness Command and began developing a history and relationship with the 70th ID soldiers and association.The name "Trailblazers" originated from the pioneers moving west into Oregon and "blazing" trails through the thick evergreen forests of the Pacific Northwest. The 70th Infantry Division adopted the "Trailblazer" title when they were activated in 1943. They became known as the Trailblazer Division.
Tags: 70th, division, id, inf, infantry
The 300th Military Intelligence Brigade (Linguist) is a United States Army formation, subordinate to the United States Army Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM) part of the Utah Army National Guard and headquartered at the Utah National Guard Headquarters building in Draper, Utah. Formed in 1988 from the 142nd Military Intelligence Battalion, the 300th provides linguistic support to the U.S. Army throughout the world. Numbering approximately 1400, with approximately 90% being trained Army linguists, the soldiers are organized as five-person teams, trained in HUMINT (such as interrogators), counterintelligence, and SIGINT (such as voice intercept and analyst) skills. The brigade covers 19 documented languages, heavily oriented toward Arabic, Persian, and Korean.
Tags: spt, support, battalion, bn, 142nd
2nd COSCOM The 2nd Corps Support Command have provided support forward to VII Corps units for more than 20 years. The command provided combat service support to units spread over 30,000 square miles of fields and forests from 76 installations in Southern Germany. When the unit, commanded by BG Robert P. McFarlin, deployed to Saudi Arabia, only the terrain changed. Throughout Desert Shield and Desert Storm, the "Champions" provided the Jayhawk corps with logistical support. In Mid-November, COSCOM units flew from Germany and the United States to Saudi Arabia, spearheading the corps deployment. They deployed early to ensure the corps' combat units had their "beans and bullets" as they marched off the runway. Throughout Desert Shield and Desert Storm, Jayhawk soldiers had food, fuel, ammunition, water and parts enough to carry the fight to the enemy. Stateside units join COSCOM
Tags: cbt, combat, retirees, retiree, ret