Farmer Cow Pillows
Description: Lawson’s Dairy Stores began in 1939 when J.J. Lawson opened a retail counter at his Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio milk company to sell milk by the gallon. Since most milk came in quart bottles, his wider-mouthed jug with a wire handle let customers carry one bottle instead of four, saving money and driving sales. Lawson soon opened his first store, offering his dairy products along with a range of food and staples—an early version of today’s convenience store. Within a year, he had ten locations; by 1943, twice that. By 1959, the chain had grown to over 700 stores when Consolidated Foods bought it. The stores kept the Lawson’s name until a rebrand in the mid-1980s changed it to Dairy Mart.