The 75th Infantry Regiment (Ranger) (officially 75th Infantry Regiment or 75th Infantry) was initially a parent regiment for all the US Army Ranger units during the Vietnam War and the early 1980s and then the headquarters for the Ranger battalions.
Tags: 1st-bn-75th-infantry-regiment-ranger-branch-wo-txt, military, insignia, crest, distinctive
A long-range reconnaissance patrol, or LRRP (pronounced "lurp"), is a small, heavily-armed reconnaissance team that patrols deep in enemy-held territory. The concept of scouts date back to the origins of warfare itself. However, in modern times these specialized units evolved from examples such as Rogers' Rangers in colonial British America, the Lovat Scouts in World War One, the Long Range Desert Group and the Special Air Service in the Western Desert Campaign and North West Europe, similar units such as Force 136 in East Asia, and the special light infantry units in the Finnish Army during the Second World War. Postwar, the role was carried in various North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) and British Commonwealth countries by units that could trace their origins to these wartime creations such as the British SAS, Australia's Special Air Service Regiment and the New Zealand Special Air Service, 1er RPIMa, GCP, Groupement de Commandos Mixtes Aéroportés in France and the United States Army Rangers, Long Range Surveillance teams, and Reconnaissance, Surveillance, and Target Acquisition squadrons.
Tags: agent-carter, star, 6th, pers, personnel
On 17 August 1950, after the outbreak of the Korean War, the Regiment was reactivated, and on 21 September 1950 the Regiment landed at Inchon, as part of the 1st Marine Division. The regiment fought from Inchon to the Yalu, at The "Frozen Chosin" Reservoir and in the long defense of South Korea until the armistice.
Tags: chosin, anchor, globe, eagle, ega
The 37th Infantry Division was a unit of the United States Army in World War I and World War II. It was a National Guard division from Ohio, nicknamed the "Buckeye Division". Today, its lineage is continued through the 37th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, with battalions from both Ohio and Michigan
Tags: 37th-infantry-division-buckeye-division, military, insignia, crest, distinctive
On 12 July 1965 the 1st and 2nd Battalions, 2nd Infantry were relieved from assignment to the 5th Infantry Division and assigned to the 1st Infantry Division with no change of station and in September 1965 the two battalions deployed to Vietnam, landing on the beach at Vũng Tàu in October 1965. From there they proceeded to their assigned areas, Phước Vĩnh for the 1st Battalion and Lai Khe for the 2nd Battalion. The battalions initially fought as light infantry in the areas north and west of Saigon. On 2 January 1967 the 2nd Battalion officially became a mechanized infantry battalion. The 2nd Battalion fought the first major battles at Ap Bau Bang on 12 November 1965 and Ap Nha Mat on 5 December 1965. Heavy losses were suffered at Ap Nha Mat and three soldiers are still listed as missing. The 1st Battalion sustained its first major casualties of the war on 21 December 1965 when the enemy ambushed the command group of Company B as the company was moving out of Bien Hoa on routine patrol. On 25 August 1966 a patrol from Company C, 1st Battalion became involved in what became known as the Battle of Bong Trang with heavy losses on both sides. During four and a half years the battalions were involved in major operations such as: Junction City, the largest operation conducted up to that time, Lam Son II, Paul Bunyan, Bu Dop, AKA, Battle of Hill 172, An Lộc, and An Lộc II, and numerous other operations and small unit actions. Contact with the enemy was almost daily. When the 1st Infantry Division stood down in March and April 1970 the 1st and 2nd Battalion's colors were cased and the soldiers were either reassigned to other units in Vietnam or returned to the United States to be discharged.
Tags: 1st-battalion-2nd-infantry, military, insignia, crest, distinctive
The 49th Infantry Division was a unit of the United States Army formed from the 52nd Infantry Division. The 52nd Infantry Division was activated on 15 August 1946, and was allocated to the State of California as a National Guard division during the post World War II demobilization. The division was to be headquartered in the area of "49'ers" of the California Gold Rush. To mark the upcoming centenary of the 1849 gold rush, the State of California requested that the 52d Infantry Division change its designation to the 49th Infantry Division. The change was approved by a National Guard Bureau Letter, CSNGB, dated 24 October 1947, Subject: "Change in Designation of 52d Infantry Division" and an Adjutant General Letter, AGAO-I 325 dated 20 October 1947, Subject: "Allotment of National Guard Units (California)." The change was made retroactive to 5 August 1946, the formation of the original 52nd division. The new division was known as the "Argonaut Division," and its shoulder sleeve insignia depicted a 49'er panning for gold. The nickname refers to the 49'ers, who were also known as Argonauts. The 49th Infantry Division was inactivated on 29 January 1968.
Tags: 49th, recondo, viking, 47th, ironfist
The 43rd Infantry Division was a formation of the United States Army from 1925 to 1967, serving in the Pacific during World War II. It was activated on 21 March 1925 as a National Guard Division in Connecticut, Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont. The 143rd Area Support Group of the Connecticut National Guard now carries on the heritage.
Tags: winged, 43rd, rainbow, 42nd, 41st
The 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized)—nicknamed the "Red Diamond", the "Red Devils", or "die Roten Teufel"—was an infantry division of the United States Army that served in World War I, World War II and the Vietnam War, and with NATO and the U.S. Army III Corps. It was disbanded and deactivated on 24 November 1992.
Tags: agent-carter, we, lrsd, 75th, co
The 38th Infantry Division ("Cyclone") is one of the eighteen divisions of the United States Army, and one of eight National Guard divisions. It is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, and contains Army National Guard units from Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Delaware, Michigan and Tennessee. Formed in 1917, the division earned the special designation “Cyclone Division” after the division’s training camp at Camp Shelby, Mississippi was damaged by a springtime tornado. Deployed to France in the closing days of the Great War, the 38th Division was broken up to provide fillers for combat formations. At the end of the war, the 38th Division demobilized and after a brief period of inactivity, was reconstituted and reorganized in the National Guard on 16 March 1923.
Tags: 38th-infantry-division-cyclone-division, military, insignia, crest, distinctive
The 36th Infantry Division ("Arrowhead"), also known as the "Texas Division", is an infantry division of the United States Army, part of the Texas Army National Guard. It was organized at the (former) Camp Bowie (Fort Worth), Texas, 18 July 1917, from units of the Texas and Oklahoma National Guard during World War I. It was activated for service for World War II on 25 November 1940, and was sent to the European Theater of Operations in April 1943, and returned to the Texas Army National Guard in December 1945. A unit of the 36th Infantry, the 2nd Battalion, 131st Field Artillery, was detached and sent to the Pacific just before the outbreak of war in late 1941. Captured by the Japanese and forced into slave labor, its fate was unknown for most of the rest of World War II, resulting in the name of The Lost Battalion. The 36th Infantry Division was reconstituted in a May 2004 reorganization of the 49th Armored Division.
Tags: 36th-airborne-division-arrowhead, military, insignia, crest, distinctive
Vietnam: Defense; Counteroffensive; Counteroffensive, Phase II; Counteroffensive, Phase III; Tet Counteroffensive; Counteroffensive, Phase IV; Counteroffensive, Phase V; Counteroffensive, Phase VI; Tet 69/Counteroffensive; Summer-Fall 1969; Winter-Spring 1970
Tags: 1st-battalion-18th-infantry-w-txt, military, insignia, crest, distinctive
On 1 July 1968, at Camp Eagle in the Republic of Vietnam, the 160th Aviation Group was constituted with elements of the 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment; the 101st Aviation Battalion (Assault Helicopter); the 158th Aviation Battalion (Assault Helicopter); and the 159th Aviation Battalion (Assault Helicopter). Less than a year later, on 25 June 1969, the 160th Aviation Group was redesignated as the 101st Aviation Group
Tags: 1st-aviation-battaliondivisional-w-txt, military, insignia, crest, distinctive
The Iroquois was originally designated HU-1, hence the Huey nickname, which has remained in common use, despite the official redesignation to UH-1 in 1962. The UH-1 first saw service in combat operations during the Vietnam War, with around 7,000 helicopters deployed.
Tags: uh-1-front-oblique-vietnam-slick-w-vn-svc-medals, military, insignia, crest, distinctive
The 46th Infantry Division was a formation of the Michigan Army National Guard active between 1947 and 1968. It was initially headquartered at Lansing. Many of its units had previously been part of the 32nd Infantry Division. It was converted to the Reorganization Objective Army Division (ROAD) structure in March 1963. The Division's 2nd Brigade was assigned to the Selected Reserve Force, a higher-readiness component of the ARNG, in 1965. Virtually the entire division was involved in responding to the 12th Street riot in Detroit in July–August 1967. The 1968 reductions of the Army National Guard, initiated by Defense Secretary Robert McNamara who felt that fifteen divisions were too many, reduced the division to the 46th Infantry Brigade, which was allocated to the 38th Infantry Division. In 1985 the Brigade, headquartered at Wyoming, Michigan, consisted of the 1–125 Infantry Regiment, the 3-126 Infantry, and the 1–225 Infantry Regiment
Tags: 46th, thunderbird, 45th, things, all