The 46th Infantry Division was a formation of the Michigan Army National Guard active between 1947 and 1968. It was initially headquartered at Lansing. Many of its units had previously been part of the 32nd Infantry Division. It was converted to the Reorganization Objective Army Division (ROAD) structure in March 1963. The Division's 2nd Brigade was assigned to the Selected Reserve Force, a higher-readiness component of the ARNG, in 1965. Virtually the entire division was involved in responding to the 12th Street riot in Detroit in July–August 1967. The 1968 reductions of the Army National Guard, initiated by Defense Secretary Robert McNamara who felt that fifteen divisions were too many, reduced the division to the 46th Infantry Brigade, which was allocated to the 38th Infantry Division. In 1985 the Brigade, headquartered at Wyoming, Michigan, consisted of the 1–125 Infantry Regiment, the 3-126 Infantry, and the 1–225 Infantry Regiment
Tags: 46th, thunderbird, 45th, things, all
Lineage Constituted as 46th Bombardment Squadron, Light on 1 Apr 1947 Activated on 16 Apr 1947 Inactivated on 2 Sep 1949 Activated on 10 Oct 1949 Inactivated on 22 Mar 1951 Redesignated 46th Bombardment Squadron, Heavy on 15 Nov 1962 Activated on 15 Nov 1962 Organized on 1 Feb 1963; receiving personnel/aircraft/equipment from 30th Bombardment Squadron (Inactivated) Redesignated 46th Bomb Squadron on 29 Aug 1991 Inactivated on 1 Oct 1994.
Tags: group, insignia, 41st, squadron, bomb